Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Happy Birthday to me..

This has to be one of the best birthdays i have ever had in my life! I will list the events as they happened so i dont miss anything!

Started off monday night with my lady sharon taking me out for dinner in a coffee shop at a five star, giving me the most amazing gift ever..A NEIL GAIMAN MARVEL 1602 Collectors edition Comic..ITS MINE ALL MINE!!(explains the layout too hehe)Had the most amazing time, felt really good to be pampered after a days work!

Tuesday(BDAY DAY) started off quite lazy with me trying to figure out whether i could carry out what i had planned to do without a hitch or whether it would be another day of work..and finally i got my confirmation!!

It was a day at an orphanage, Sivananda Orphanage, an evening with kids who could get the better of me!! 150 kids taking my trip all day, those darn kids!!

It was so much fun, and the place is absolutely awesome with 40 acres of super clean(maintained by the little ones) land consisting of an orphanage of 200 odd kids, an old age home with about 70 residents and the most amazing bird collection of the owner i have ever seen!!(photos below)

It was quite heart warming to spend the whole evening with them, but it was also very clear that they were just about better than animals in cages..it was quite pathetic to realise that they had no idea what was outside those walls..even though everything was provided to them inside..something which made me think how selfish we haev grown to be, that when we spend time with these ones..we dont realise how much we have and how much they lack..

I dont know how many of you are around here and i dont know how many of you have time..but if you do, please visit them and try and spend a few hours with them showing them and telling them the fascinations we have outside those walls, i am trying to arrange field trips for them to take them around wherever possible..most of the details of the ashram can be found on their website http://www.sivanandagurukul.org/

I wish to do this more often and not on a "Special" day anymore..i think we all need to draw some sort of a balance in our own lives to realise some others dont live like we do..i know i sound like a preacher, but the amount of fun i had, id probably say, all of you are missing something!!

Which brings me to the best part of the evening, when all the children joined in singing a prayer and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOGI...it was utterly chaotic and i had no clue what they were saying, but it was just awesome when they clapped their way through it, you couldnt help but smile and join in!

On an even better note, ended the day with sharon and reflextions(who has still quit blogging!) with a couple of beers at a nice rooftop restaurant..I LOVE BIRTHDAYS..:)

Layout taken off : can be viewed at
Happy Birthday to me

22 comments:

SCRIBBLEZ TO WAKEUP said...

WISH YOU A VERY VERY VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY....Its not belated US timing but maybe belated your timing but my hearty wishes go out to you! Wish I could reach yo with a cute gift which is wrapped with the most colorful and beautiful paper with care and a ribbon tied around it..Sounds girly but hey, a girl is gifting you this:)

You also have found n idol n your future sweet wife!!

Yogi said...

: thanks scribblez..its quite weird that you commented even before i finished my post :), THANK YOU

AWY said...

happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you! happy birthday dear yogi! happy birthday to you!!!

Yogi said...

@anna

Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

well what should i say.. very touched :) guess u said it all in the blog dude :) have a great year ahead.. adios bro..

twip said...

heppi burdayy to yuuu!!!

and gaiman eh, nice nice...never forget the person who showed you the existence of gaiman..:P

Yogi said...

@v

we do what we can :)

Yogi said...

@woodie

:), that doesnt make the plan good

Yogi said...

@WIP

Like darth vader to Obi wan - You had taught me well, but i am the master now hehe..joking thankoooooo

starry said...

Happy Birthday Yogi..what a wonderful way to spend a birthday to give off your time to people who dont have much.I wish I would do that some day. spend some time with children like that.

SCRIBBLEZ TO WAKEUP said...

How weird or wired is that....I saw your post till the pic of the girl and thought that was your post..Today I see your post has become bigger so part of your post got published yesterday while I was reading and another part after I finished reading...

Tell u , now I get the complete picture, I respect you man for taking the time out to be with those kids in your special day when most of us want otbe pampered...I had once seen a movie where this small girl goes to the orphanage and gives all the kids there chocolates and other stuff and I wanted to do that too for sometime and then I forgot about it...mean me. Your action reminded me of that long ago wish I had and shall do it now.

Anonymous said...

Seems someone has the love of children in his heart,,sounds like another person. Hmmmm ! Yog, as you know my kids are my happiness. Yes you are correct, you begin to see things a little differently once you view things from another angle. This is definately one experience I would have loved to share with you,,,I think the whole day for you was very very special and I am so glad Sharon was part of that with you. Love the layout ! Love and Huggles from Tennessee/USA !

Happy Birthday Youngin !

~Belle~

Why Am I said...

awwww...uu??spent the day at an orphanage?!..damn tht seems un-yogi like:P...kidding...its nice that u actually did something as sweet as tht:)...and yup u have not mentioned tht i wished u on ur bday:( for the "the day ended on an even better note bit"...*wails in anguish*...but hey wht the heck..happy belated or belated happy budday!!

Anonymous said...

hb 2 u , and really nice and touching
ur orphanage visit .

atleast dere is an orphanage 2 care 4 dese kids wt love and affection ,
adquate basic necessities , education and a gd environment , that orphanage hs kept dem well .
also deir interaction says dey r adorable ,soft , kind nature , and yeah do something like dis and encourage others .

and d old people 2 , sure u gv happiness nt only 2 urself bt others ,
u gt a break and others gt a break 2 .
wish u great year and life , eventhoug
i only read ur blogs 4m recently ,
its always nice 2 wish people birthdays
special day , and a new milestone .

Yogi said...

@starry nights
It is wonderful, you should try it sometime!

@scribblez
I guess it takes a special day for a lot of us to realise it, but didnt want it to be a special day, but i guess it was the best excuse

Yogi said...

@the mama
well maybe that gives you an excuse to come here!:)

Yogi said...

@why am i

I forgot im sorry!!:P, lets see if sunday happens first!so un-yogi like it seems!

Yogi said...

@anon

thank you..keep visiting

Why Am I said...

@yogi - now me is sorry./...had to go out for a trip:(...cudnt make it on sunday

A said...

Hey belated wishes!Really enjoyed reading ur day out.Three cheers to u:)

Yogi said...

@arpita
thank you!! :)

Anonymous said...

yogs, guess this is a verrrry belated bday wishes :-),
Anyways, loved your post! totally agree with you man...guess there is more to life than to jus working and accumulating money! very nice! Nice layout too!
~PBG